JOB OPPORUNITY – GRANT WRITER
The Oliver Park& Recreation Society is currently seeking an individual, or service provider, to fulfill our need for a Grant Writer. It is anticipated that this position with last for a term of 8-10 months beginning as early as January 2, 2018. The Grant Writer is primarily responsible for developing and writing grant proposals to various government agencies; foundations; and other granting organizations and to persuasively communicate the Society’s mission, values, strategic goals, capital plans and programs to potential funders.
Reporting to the Society Manager, the Grant Writer will assemble and submit grant requests, establish relationships with foundations, conduct prospect research and maintain a calendar of grant application deadlines and record of their submissions.
The Grant Writer is responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit and manage grant proposals to governments, foundations and corporate sources. This includes researching, compiling, writing and editing grant applications, as well as developing templates to streamline the Society’s grant proposal process. After the initial term, the Grant Writer position will be reassessed for possible extension, and/or expansion of duties, dependent upon his/her success.
- Conducts research on potential funding sources, such as government, corporate, family and charitable foundations
- Works closely with administrative staff in developing ideas into grant proposals
- Creates and maintains funding opportunity databases, an activity tracking system, and related confidential files
- Develops and writes grant proposals to foundations and other grant-making organizations
- Assembles and submits grant requests, including letters, proposals, budgets and presentations
- Establishes and maintains relationships with foundation contacts and program officers
- Ensures prompt acknowledgement of gifts
- Maintains calendar of proposal deadlines and submissions
- Prioritizes projects to keep multiple proposals moving in a timely manner, meets deadlines and manages supplemental material required for proposals
- Ability to work independently and manage time effectively
- Ability to pay attention to detail and maintain accurate records
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Works with the Manager to identify and conduct prospect research to find alignment with Society’s funding projects
- Works with other staff to obtain necessary information for proposals and grant applications
- Develops and prepares proposals and grant applications according to their guidelines, complies with all follow-up reporting as required by government/foundation/corporate donors
- Excellent writing, analytical and research skills are essential
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, highly-organized, and computer literate
- Able to work well under pressure
- Able to seek and synthesize information, and communicate in a compelling and succinct form
- A solid understanding of budgets as related to proposals and grants
- Bachelor Degree and/or 3-5 years of relevant experience required
- Proven proficiency of professional writing experience including successful proposals to institutional donors, grant writing or other technical writing experience preferred
- Non-profit fundraising experience an asset
Applications and inquiries can be directed to:
Oliver Parks & Recreation Society
c/o Carol Sheridan
Box 627 Oliver BC V0H 1T0
(P) 250-498-4985 (F) 250-498-0097
Please submit your cover letter, resume and compensation expectations to: Carol Sheridan, Manager, at email@example.com by Friday, December 15th, 2016.
Are you interested in teaching a class at Oliver Parks and Recreation?
We are always on the lookout for new program ideas and instructors. Do you have an interesting idea? Let us know, at 250-498-4985 or contact us through our contact page.